Does FAKE TAN AGE SKIN? | Self tan safety | Dermatologist @Dr Dray

Dermatologist Dr Dray on the safety of self tanners. Does fake tan age your skin? In today’s video I discuss the side effects and safety of sunless tanning lotions, creams, and spray tans. #skincare #selftan #dermatologist
My response to Mike Thurston https://youtu.be/KV0ON3lucqo
FTC: This video is not sponsored.

References
Johnson JA,Fusaro RM.Protection against long ultraviolet radiation: topical browning agents and a new outlook. Dermatologica 1987;175:53-7.
Rajatanavin N, Suwanachote S, Kulkollakarn S. Dihydroxyacetone: a safe camouflaging option in vitiligo. Int J Dermatol. 2008;47:402-406.
Yourick JJ, Koenig ML, Yourick DL, et al. Fate of chemicals in skin after dermal application: does the in vitro skin reservoir affect the estimate of systemic absorption? Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004;195:309-320.
Beutler E, Guinto E. The metabolism of dihydroxyacetone by intact erythrocytes. J Lab Clin Med. 1973;82:534-545.
Ouellette M, Makkay AM, Papke RT. Dihydroxyacetone metabolism in Haloferax volcanii. Front Microbiol. 2013;4:376.
Akin FJ, Marlowe E. Non-carcinogenicity of dihydroxyacetone by skin painting. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 1984;5:349-351.
Petersen AB, Na R, Wulf HC. Sunless skin tanning with dihydroxyacetone delays broad-spectrum ultraviolet photocarcinogenesis in hairless mice. Mutat Res. 2003;542:129-138.
Kim SB, Hayase F, Kato H. Desmutagenic effect of alpha-dicarbonyl and alpha-hydroxycarbonyl compounds against mutagenic heterocyclic amines. Mutat Res. 1987;177:9-15.
Petersen AB, Wulf HC, Gniadecki R, et al. Dihydroxyacetone, the active browning ingredient in sunless tanning lotions, induces DNA damage, cell-cycle block and apoptosis in cultured HaCaT keratinocytes. Mutat Res. 2004;560:173-186.
Lloyd RV, Fong AJ, Sayre RM. In vivo formation of Maillard reaction free radicals in mouse skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:740-742.
Pham HN, DeMarini DM, Brockmann HE. Mutagenicity of skin tanning lotions. J Environ Pathol Toxicol. 1979;3:227-231.
Yamaguchi T. Mutagenicity of trioses and methyl glyoxan on Salmonella typhimurium. Agric Biol Chem. 1982;46:849-851.
Follett KA, Johnson JA, Fusaro RM. Protection of photosensitized rats against long ultraviolet radiation by topical application of compounds with structures similar to that of dihydroxyacetone. Dermatologica. 1987;175:58-63.
Faurschou A, Janjua NR, Wulf HC. Sun protection effect of dihydroxyacetone. Arch Dermatol. 2004;140:886-887.
Armas LA, Fusaro RM, Sayre RM, et al. Do melanoidins induced by topical 9% dihydroxyacetone sunless tanning spray inhibit vitamin d production? A pilot study. Photochem Photobiol. 2009;85:1265-1266.
Moneib HA, Salem SA, Younis RM. Comparison of turbo-PUVA and conventional American-style PUVA in the treatment of psoriatic patients. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2010;26:205-210.
Morren M, Dooms-Goossens A, Heidbuchel M, et al. Contact allergy to dihydroxyacetone. Contact Dermatitis. 1991;25:326-327.
Bovenschen HJ, Korver JE, van der Valk PG. Contact dermatitis to self-tanning products. Contact Dermatitis. 2009;60:290-291.

0:00 Intro
0:22 What is DHA?
1:04 How DHA works
1:36 Is DHA safe?
4:02 Does DHA age the skin?
6:31 Does DHA protect from UV?
13:13 Does DHA block vitamin D?
15:16 Adverse effects of sunless tanners

💜Follow me on liketoknowit https://www.liketoknow.it/drdrayzday
💜Social media
Instagram @drdrayzday
Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/drdrayzday/
Facebook @DrDrayzDay
Twitter: @drdrayzday

📪Mail:
PO Box 542234
Houston, TX 77254

Disclaimer: This video is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment or medical advice. Content provided on this Youtube channel is for informational purposes only. Please consult with a physician or other healthcare professional regarding any medical or health related diagnosis or treatment options. Information on this Youtube channel should not be considered as a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional. The statements made about specific products throughout this video are not to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.

1. Moomin
    Moomin says:

When i was little i had rickets. My mom used to let me sleep next to the window and I was cured.

Conclusions: Short sessions of UVB or UVAB radiation with the same vitamin D-weighted exposure increased 25(OH)D levels. The UVA dose does not influence 25(OH)D levels under short exposure times. However, there was a significantly lower increase of 25(OH)D levels during longer UVA irradiation (≥9 min).

2. Ali
    Ali says:

Dr. Drey, I am 61, live in Florida and have been addicted to tanning most of my life. I always protect my face, chest and hands but feel I need the color on the rest of my body to feel healthy and attractive. I know the dangers and am constantly at the dermatologist getting keratosis’ frozen off. I wished that self tanners were the answer for me but since I’m covered in freckles, they only get darker with the self tanner. I really want to take care of myself but I need some help in loving my skin. I use tretinoin, get IPL on face and some random freckles on my body but now I have white spots instead. Let’s say I use TCA in my body in the winter, to exfoliate some of the age spots, what else can I do? I feel like an old barnacle! Thank you 🙏

3. Anna Te
    Anna Te says:

Personally I have olive mediterranean skin but am naturally quite pale, and the result is just a bit of a sickly looking green color, I have no pink or orange undertones and just look a bit dead, plus my dark undereyes look so intense and stark by contrast – but in the summer (before I wore sunscreen) my skin would always turn this beautiful deep olive golden hue and my undereyes wouldn't look so intense by comparison, and I just miss that. I know technically my skintone is pale, but my ancestors all lived and worked in the sun and were always tan and so my paleness just doesn't feel like my "real" skin color if that makes sense, at least not in the summer. Plus, having grown up pretty far from where I'm from, looking more like my family there makes me feel connected to them.
    It's been 5 years of consistent sunscreen use and I'm the palest I've ever been, so now I just use gradual self-tan in the summer and it helps. I know opinions may vary, but it has eased the transition from no SPF to daily use of it tremendously, and for the moment it suits me well.

4. MiauuuuuuuuuuU
    MiauuuuuuuuuuU says:

The way Dr.Drey tells us where DHA originated from is just legendary Dr Drey style& why we are here. These videos are more like classes by experts better than most classes in unis. Thanks Dr Drey

5. Jamie Howard
    Jamie Howard says:

They may work for some but I personally hate self tanner with a passion. and I’ve tried them all. They smell awful and dry skin out. It looks nothing like my natural tan in the least but some sort of superficial oxidized jaundice color and every freckle grabs making the skin look mottled.

So, with that being said and that tanning is a no no I am learning to embrace my natural skin color and accent myself. But hopefully it helps others.

6. Amanda Hunt
    Amanda Hunt says:

I want to self tan my face but I’m on a prescription Tretinon. Would that make sense to do or is there no point because the Tretinon would kinda rub off the self tan?

7. B
    B says:

"My job as a dermatologist is not to oppose my beliefs on people, but to help them make informed decisions for their health." 👏👏👏

Thank you so much for these videos, these have been so helpful, thank you, thank you, thank you!

8. 100mfp
    100mfp says:

I am so grateful for self tanners. I grew up in So Cal. I'm 65 now and have sun aged skin. Actually not as bad as it seems like it could be. I think when you grow up around the beach there is just an expectation of tan skin. When the weather warms up after winter and I see how white my natural skin is, I think it looks unhealthy. I'm so happy Dr Drea said it is safe to use self tan because it has a lot to do with my self esteem. I haven't laid out in the sun for 30 years and I've never gone to a tanning bed. I also haven't ever gotten the "orange streaking" that they always talk about. I've used a lot of brands over the years. I like Jergens the best.

9. TheDreamymy
    TheDreamymy says:

Can you please explain how self tan work with anti pigment and acid ingredients like: Tranexamic Acid, retinol, aha, bha, thiamidol, kojic acid, niacinamide etc. 🙈

10. stuffinsthegreat
    stuffinsthegreat says:

I have a job where I work outside 8-10 hours a day (often at elevation), and I do my best to be vigilant with sunscreen and always wear full covering clothing/hats–but trust me, your hands/lower arms will STILL get darker than anywhere else on your body (particularly the legs!). Came here to see if wearing sunless tanner would have ill effects with my job, pleased to learn it'll actually maybe help!

11. Roberta Haasner
    Roberta Haasner says:

Hi I absolutely adore your videos😍 but I am a little conflicted because I recently saw a video that stated that DHA is really fragile and when it gets warm or is exposed to direct light it can form formaldehyde. So even if I store it cold and dark I don’t know what they did to it in the store before purchase for example.
    They sent their fake tan to a chemical laboratory and they tested it for formaldehyde and it actually had quite a lot in it. Is it the same with formaldehyde as having to be “tattooed” to be harmful?
    Maybe you or anyone in the comments can help me 🤷🏻‍♀️

12. Selena075
    Selena075 says:

I would say to use an antioxidant rich cream or oil just in case the “free radicals” have an effect on the aging process of the skin

13. Amie Vandzura
    Amie Vandzura says:

You know how many businesses pay doctors to say their product is safe? The Egg, Meat, and Dairy Tycoons have been doing this for decades even though animal products/byproducts are so bad for you. They even fund research that will back what they want the public to hear. Trust me I want to believe this as much as the next girl but Dr. Dray, it looks like you are reading a script and are choosing very specific wordage so can you guarantee the sources you used were not funded by any tanning companies and are from a non bias party?

P.S. I appreciate the video and the amount of detail you went into but must play devil's advocate.

14. Deborah Braga
    Deborah Braga says:

Hey! Thank you so much for the video! You literally saved me from Australian Gold (one of those "tanning sunscreens").

Great to know that DHA are a much better option, but I wonder if it is safe to use DHA products while i use roaccutan? 🤔

15. Elan
    Elan says:

I really appreciate this video , as someone whom has medium olive skin with vitiligo, so my hands, chest neck and face have been totally "ghosted" by no pigment. This addressed concerns I had about possible aging effects from bi weekly use of DHA, and in fact this is great news that it has some protective effect from UVA rays as not having any pigment in large areas leads to severe sunburn.
    As someone disabled on a very tight budget, I use Malibu Tan Hemp Skin Firming & Bronzing Moisturizer, Golden Glow ($6 at Walmart, has many great natural beneficial ingredients) every third night over adapalene gel and Gold Bond Radiance Renewal lotion (similar ingredients to Cerave but only $10 for a 20 oz bottle) to add color back to the areas where the vitiligo has erased my melanin. To protect pigment free skin, I also liberally apply daily Max Force SPF 50 sunscreen from the Dollar Tree (I buy it from the website by the case). Hope these tips can help someone else with similar issues to mine! 🙂

16. Sydney
    Sydney says:

I feel very nauseous and sick after applying self tanner. I looked online, I guess it can happen to people 🤷🏼‍♀️

17. Liza
    Liza says:

Hi Dr.Dray! Thank you for posting this video. I have one question. Can I use tretinoin while using self tanner on my face? I really hope you can answer this. Thank you in advance ❤❤❤ love your channel.